1,2,3,4 over Bayelsa.

Now that’s more like it. We asked for a big big performance from the boys and boy did they show up. It was emphatic, it was exciting and totally enjoyable.

The lads were truly down after the Akwa United game and being our first defeat in 5 games, I wondered if we had the mental strength to get back to winning ways, we answered all in in CAPS.

Coach Ikhana made several changes to the side that lost in Uyo. Notably was the attack where Mfon was dropped to the bench. Meschak (as I hoped) made his second start for the club though he would be disappointed not to get on the scoresheet. Bashri back from his 3 month injury was drafted into the starting eleven and Chimezie Amanfor started too. Uche John could only make the bench and these good news on the injury front can only be a good thing for us as the season gradually comes to a close.

The game ended 4-0 but believe me, the first 40 minutes had a very bad feel to it. To be honest, it felt like vs Giwa at home. Our attack just was not working. Perhaps the conditions had a hand to it but Bayelsa stood firm, defended resolutely, denying our strikers any space in the final third.

There was need to turn things around and the manager duly obliged. Abalogu was pulled out and a different kind of threat in Udoh was sent in with just 26 minutes played.

Minutes later, we got the goal. Meschak and Mfon exchanged passes and the former Akwa United striker fired at Vansekin. The ball bubbled to Amanfor on the left and he too fired at goal. The ball took some deflection on its way in and one of their defenders tried to kick it out from over the goal line. It was a goal any day and while they whined and complained, the referee had already pointed to the center circle.

Mfon got the second and it was perfect for Vansekin whose stupid time wasting tactics began from the first minute. He would bend down to change the right boot, then it was the shin guard the next minute. Then his stocking needed to be pulled up and next it was the collar of his jersey. He kept on eating precious time even though there was no contact injury to him that I wondered why the referee did not book him. Well, he got served when in the 5th minute of the 7 minutes added, Mfon nipped in behind the defenders to latch onto Uwadiegwu’s cross from the right. One touch. 2-0!

In the second half we resumed from where we stopped the first. Mfon and Meschak and Amanfor pegging back the lads from Yenagoa. Nzube saved the best for third when he curled in a beautiful effort from the area in the 55th minute. Ayaya then poured the icing with a 4th deep into stoppage time to complete the rout. What a game.

It is good to see so many goals from the boys especially at this phase of the season. The Federations Cup Finals is not too far away now and in the League, we remain within touching distance of Kano Pillars.


We must give credit to the boys who did not give up when it wasn’t working well in the first period. Bayelsa were immense in their tactics of defending and time wasting but we kept going.

At the other end too, credit must go to our defence who have been superb this season especially at home. Do you remember the game vs Abia Warriors at home? 30th March 2014, that was the last time we conceded a goal at home. I believe we can pick up more points away before the end of the season and we’ll see where that takes us, you’ll never know.

Enjoy this one guys, as we get our bags ready to go head to Lobi in midweek.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.